Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A new instrument came in the mail today...

Hi, everybody!

Today, I received a small package in the mail (along with a larger package of wedding invitations--but that's another story). Wasn't really sure what it was, although I had just purchased a bunch of instruments/band paraphernalia via Amazon and ebay on Saturday (not the least of which is a TC Helicon Voicelive vocal effects processor--check this out to see what it does).

Turns out it was a jaw harp, or "Jew's harp," if you want to be less politically correct. Or, if you want to be a little more bland, some folks just call it a mouth harp.



It took me half an hour or so to get any sound out of this weird little instrument, but I think I've got the hang of it. It only hurts when you bounce the metal off of your teeth or gums. Otherwise, it gives off a nice--almost cliche--folksy sound. We're planning on using it in a Woody Guthrie tune we're covering at a live performance at Mississippi Mud House in Cape Girardeau on March 6. I'm not going to tell you which tune, though, just to maintain the element of surprise. If you're curious, but unable to make it to the show, I'll probably post some videos of the concert sometime shortly afterward.

Peace,

Joshua

2 comments:

  1. Yay for Jaw Harps! And wedding invites :) Guess what I'm doing while you're working on Saturday . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where you can get a great nose flute player!!!

    ReplyDelete